At Sustainability CoLab, we’re scaling a ground-breaking, community-led social innovation that engages businesses in reducing their environmental impact, increasing their profitability and growing the low-carbon economy.
Having expanded support to 8 community organizations (‘Network Members’) across Ontario since launching in 2014, we’re now at a critical time: we’re looking for the following volunteer superstar to become an integral member of our team.
The Newsletter Coordinator leads the strategy, creation, and evaluation of CoLab’s bi-monthly newsletter CoLab Connect, and supports the team on a variety of ad hoc communications projects (where time permits). The newsletter is critical to build momentum for our work, communicating key activities across the CoLab Network to funders, partners, and other external supporters.
Duties and Responsibilities
CoLab refers to primary ownership/accountability for a particular piece of work as being led by the ‘Quarterback’, whereas providing support on tasks being led by others is termed ‘Contributor’.
- Maintain and update an existing strategy, outline and design for CoLab’s newsletter, ensuring consistency and integration with CoLab’s broader communications
- Create and distribute bi-monthly newsletter with content from CoLab Network members and the internal CoLab team
- Manage the process for newsletter creation and distribution on an on-going basis to ensure critical timelines are met
- Analyze and interpret newsletter analytics as part of a larger communications plan
- Time permitting, support or lead ad hoc projects for CoLab in a variety of communications pieces such as articles, blogs, reports and event outreach
Key Skills and Characteristics Required to Succeed in this Role:
- Superior writing, editing and project management skills
- Highly detail oriented with a proven ability to meet deadlines
- Comfortable working independently and within a virtual team
- Self-starter with a keen interest in helping CoLab to grow its following
- Experience working with MailChimp and/or other email marketing software
- Experience working with CSS/HTML is a major asset
Time Commitment: Approximately 5 hrs per week plus bi-weekly 1:1 meetings and monthly 1-hour team meetings.
To express interest in this volunteer role, please send your resume and cover letter to Priyanka Lloyd, Managing Director (firstname.lastname@example.org).
What’s it like working at CoLab?
We are a lean organization that works at a quick pace to achieve meaningful impact. To fit in well, our ideal volunteer brings good judgment, a sense of humour and passion for grassroots sustainability and systems change.
- We are bold, ambitious and optimistic. Our vision is for an economy that makes environmental sustainability, human well-being, and business success synonymous.
- We care about what we each accomplish, not where we work from or how many hours we put in.
- We want working together to feel effortless and the ways we work together to be intuitive.
- We embrace innovation: we’re willing to take risks, we know we’ll make mistakes along the way, and we push ourselves to apply what we learn each time. At CoLab, it’s okay to fail.
- We have fun, enjoy working together, and laugh often.
- We’re not satisfied with the status quo: we don’t think “because that’s how it’s always been done” justifies a course of action.
- We challenge each other, think critically, and strive for objective decision-making.